Friends of the North Country, Inc. is a Rural Preservation Corporation founded in 1981 as “Friends of Keeseville” to revitalize the historic Village of Keeseville, located at the border of Essex and Clinton Counties. After the successful completion of several housing and downtown revitalization programs locally, Friends expanded community development services throughout Clinton, Essex and Franklin County communities that include:
· The Provision of Safe, Affordable Housing – Obtain funding for and implement scores of housing rehabilitation programs for low/moderate income households.
Friends is a HUD-Certified Housing Counseling Agency providing housing counseling services to low/moderate income residents.
· Public Infrastructure - Assist communities to plan and implement public water and sewer development and to apply for funding for projects.
· Historic Preservation - Preserve historic resources through preservation planning and rehabilitation of historic structures.
· Main Street Revitalization – Provide technical assistance to communities for infrastructure projects, small business revolving loan funds, and provide NY Main Street Downtown Revitalization funds.
· Heritage Tourism - Promote community-based characteristics that are unique to the North Country.
· Grant Writing – Governor’s Office for Small Cities HUD Community Development Block Grant programs, NYS HOME Programs, NYS Affordable Housing Corporation Programs, NYS Division of Housing and Community Renewal, NYS DOT, NYS DOS, and a variety of private foundations.